Supporting us is often just a mouse click away
1. Tell Others About Us
Our main goal is to accelerate the transition to a sustainable future. The more people get inspired by the sustainable solutions we describe and take the actions we propose, the sooner our mission is accomplished. So tell your family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues about Sailors for Sustainability and get them on board!
2. Subscribe to Our Newsletter
To stay up to date on our journey and sustainable solutions, all you need to do is subscribe to our newsletter. You can do so by filling in your name and e-mail address in the footer of our website. If you are already subscribed, forward the newsletter to family, friends and colleagues who might be interested in our travels and solutions.
4. Invite Others to Follow Us
Draw the attention of your social media friends and contacts to us by inviting them to like and follow us. In Facebook, this is as easy as going to our page. In the desktop version, clicking on the three dots (…) underneath our cover picture. You can then select “invite your friends”. In the app, scroll down to “community” and select “show all”. In the next screen you can invite friends. On Twitter, ask your followers in a tweet to follow us.
5. Like and Share Our Social Media Posts
This is one of the best and easiest ways to help us reach more people. Like and share our posts on your timeline, retweet our tweets, like and share our LinkedIn posts and like our instagram pictures. All it takes is a quick click to spread our message to hundreds more people. More likes and shares also mean that our posts will rank higher on people’s timelines and thus get more views.
6. Send Us Sustainable Solution Ideas
If you have suggestions on great sustainable solutions we should visit or people we should meet, do not hesitate to let us know. Use our contact form to get in touch.
7. Use Your Time and Network to Help Us
Here are some ways in which you can help us with your time and network: Research solutions we could visit, connect us to your business relations and media contacts which might be interested in partnering with us. If you see opportunities to improve our website, articles and videos, do let us know. Or maybe you see other possibilities to assist? Don’t be shy and get in touch.
8. Donate to Our Foundation
We also welcome financial donations. We try to live a conscious lifestyle and participate in the giving and sharing economy as much as possible. Unfortunately, we cannot deny that sailing around the world costs money, even if done on a budget. Things break and need to be fixed or replaced, as every sailor has experienced. Insurance premiums, for the boat and us, need to be paid regularly. Add harbour fees, diesel (as little as possible) and food and you get an idea what we need just to get by from day to day. If we travel in the countries we visit, for example to visit sustainable solution projects, we’ll also need to pay for transportation and lodging. For most if not all of the above, money in the local currency is often the only legal tender.
For donations from €20 upwards, you are welcome to collect our banner (triangular flag 30×45 cm) as a token of our appreciation. It is available at UK – De Vries Sails in Enkhuizen (NL).
To donate via bank transfer, simply transfer your donation to our foundation’s Triodos bank account:
IBAN: NL86 TRIO 0391 0753 30
in the name of Stichting Sailors for Sustainability
Alternatively, you may use the Donate Now button below to make a donation through Paypal.
9. Become Our Patron
On patreon.com/sailorsforsustainability you can sign up to become our Patron! It’s an easy way to show your support and help us finance our project. You can choose an amount you wish to donate per video we create (between $3 to $50). In exchange you’ll get to see our videos first. Depending on your patron level, you may also get personalised items, get mentioned in our videos and website and a have personal skype call with us.
This video explains how it works and how patreons help us achieve our mission:
10. Become Our Partner
We welcome sponsoring contributions from organisations and companies that share our values and aim to lead in the field of sustainability. Partnerships help us spread our message, inspire followers to make their daily lives more sustainable and potentially bring about cooperation between our partners and sustainable projects.
As our partner we can present our story at your event of choice, offer you customised articles (e.g. for your newsletter), and facilitate potential business relationships. You may even sail with us or visit a sustainable project at a destination of your choice.
We offer different partnership levels, please contact us for more information about partnerships.
These are our current partners:
- Corporate video agency 1camera made the leader for our video logs (vlogs) and gave us useful tips on how to shoot film.
- ABN AMRO, an Amsterdam based global financial service provider, is supporting us to reach as many people as possible by sharing our blog posts via their communication channels.
- Cox Zeiljachtexpertise, a sailing yacht survey agency helping us with technical advise and documentation.
- Dokkumer Vlaggen Centrale, supporting us with flags made from 100% recycled plastic
- Finch & Beak, a consultancy firm on effective corporate social responsibility, are helping us spread our stories through their newsletters.
- Tom van Duuren, civil law notary at Nineyards Law (and Floris’s former colleague), helped us get established as a foundation (stichting).
- Seajet, a paint company providing us with the newest generation of eco-friendly antifouling paint.
- Super B, founded by our friend Prins Doornekamp, has provided us with state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery packs (starter and service).
- Tekstwerf, a team of Dutch copywriters, helps us by editing our Dutch sustainable solution articles.
- UK – De Vries Sails Enkhuizen, co-run by our friend Feitze Visser, has provided us with sails and canvasses and has learned us how to repair our sails.
- Dutch green energy company Vandebron makes and spreads videos of some of the sustainable solutions we visit.
- We regularly write for Dutch sailing magazine Zeilen and their online blog.
Independence and expense policy
The Sailors for Sustainability Foundation applies a strict independence policy. No payments or partnership contributions are accepted in exchange for an article or vlog about a partner. Partners have no influence on the selection of the sustainable solutions we describe or the content of our articles. Partnership contributions and donations made to the foundation are used to pay reasonable and necessary travel expenses. These include harbour fees, transportation costs, fuel, food and travel-related boat maintenance.
11. Sail with Us as Trainee
Do you want to experience what it’s like to be a Sailor for Sustainability? Are you passionate about the earth, our society and the future? Then apply to sail with us for one or two weeks. You’ll be a full crew member (no sailing experience required), assist with research, planning, visits, articles, videos, social media and fundraising. You may also develop and execute your own ideas that help us achieve our goals. Applications are open for anyone aged 18 – 80, timing to be agreed and the costs are Euro 500 per week (including lodging, food and drinks onboard). Contact us for additional information or an application.
We are grateful for all the support we receive, be it in the form of sharing our stories on social media, donating your time, sharing your knowledge, opening up your networks, providing hardware, services, or financial contributions. We cannot do this without you! Thank you for your involvement.